Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Walt Whitman Continued

I sincerely hope the poem, "When I heard at the Close of the Day" by Walt Whitman was a love poem...if not...all is lost!

I just had to comment on "Twilight". Even I can see that it is a poem on death...short though it may be. As twilgiht comes...so does the end of our lives.

I had actually forgotten about "Drum-Taps" (poems from the Civil War) and that Walt Whitman himself rushed to find his brother, George, on hearing that he had been wounded and stayed to serve as a nurse. The poem, "The Wound Dresser" is easier to follow with that knowledge.

I must admit, I do much better with the shorter poems. I tend to get lost in the longer ones trying to figure out what they "mean" instead of just enjoying the poem itself. I am also ready for some that are not quite so gloomy!

No comments: